What is cos lettuce?
- Cos lettuce is long and tall with thick leaves and a stiff central rib
- The outer leaves are usually slightly bitter, whilst the inner leaves are sweeter and usually more delicate
What nutrients does it contain?
An average portion of cos lettuce contains
- 82% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin A which is needed for healthy skin, teeth and bones, and it also helps to promote good vision, especially in low light
- 60% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin K which helps wounds to heal quickly
- 8 calories and 0.1g of fat
Where and when is it grown?
Cos lettuce is grown
- In the UK from May to September
- In Spain from October to April
How is it grown and harvested?
- Seed is sown and propagated in glasshouses
- Young plants are transferred to fields where they mature into adult plants
- Cos lettuce is harvested using mobile field rigs. The lettuce are hand cut then bagged, boxed and labelled on the rig ready for distribution
- Lettuce are vacuum cooled then refrigerated within 2 hours of harvest to maximise freshness and shelf life
How do I ensure my cos lettuce is kept fresh?
- Best kept refrigerated in its packaging
How can I best use and enjoy cos lettuce?
- Best eaten raw in salads, cos lettuce is a key ingredient in Caesar salad
Did you know?
- Lettuce is a member of the sunflower family